Looe Museum

Looe Museum

First built as a guildhall c.1450, the upper storey was changed from timber to stone after Elizabeth 1's charter (1587) freeing Looe from the Domesday book's Manor of Pendrim.

Barbican Hill, opposite, was the main road to Plymouth and over the years soil was pushed down into Higher Market St. In 1696, window tax was introduced, so when they first hard surfaced the road no windows were visible, and they covered the road as it was. The original window structures were found when the museum was restored in the 1970s. It has been a prison, a court, a guardroom among other uses. Amazing variety of exhibits, including 2000 year old tin ingot, court punishments etc. Be the judge on the bench!

Admission & prices

The museum is open to the public 7 days a week from 11am - 4pm.
It opens the week before Easter and closes at the end of October half-term. Dogs welcome on leads if well behaved.

Adults: £2
Children (5 yrs-16): £1
Family: £4.50

Find us

Information

The museum is run by volunteers, is a registered charity and is owned by East Looe Town Trust. The museum has recently (Dec 2015) received full accreditation. This is due to the wonderful volunteers, the East Looe Town Trust (especially Judy Martin) and our mentor, Stephanie Meads.



E: barbara6@totalise.co.uk

Back to search results

Looe Museum


, CORNWALL